Things to see and do
As the Local Organisers for the Congress, we hope that during your trip you will be able to see something of the city of Manchester, and that you will take the opportunity to explore the wider area. Manchester has excellent transport links, and is an ideal base for visits to other locations in northern and central England.
On these pages, we are putting together a collection of information to help you make the most of your trip: essays about local culture and activities, and lists of places to visit not only in Manchester, but in the surrounding country.
The guides we have available so far are:
- Details of museums and libraries in Manchester
- Galleries, art and music venues
- Information on local research resources
- Drop-in exhibitions and regular tours arranged for the Congress
- Industrial heritage in the Manchester region: includes the city of Manchester, south Lancashire, and Cheshire
- Industrial heritage further afield: includes Liverpool and Merseyside, the West Midlands, Yorkshire and Cumbria
- The England of tradition: historic houses, ancient cities, rural retreats
- Retail shopping in Manchester
- 10 things to do in Manchester (for those who want a break from HSTM!)
We will be providing several updates to this information, so please check back nearer to the start of the Congress.